Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for May 4th, 2018

HISD Surprise

Commentary stayed up last night to watch Albert Pujols reach the 3,000 career base hit milestone. He didn’t make it. He’s sitting at 2,999. Name the MLB club that Pujols has the most career base hits off of?

Under normal circumstances, an HISD Trustee asking the HISD Board President to step down is big news. An HISD Trustee asking the HISD Board President to step down while the Texas Education Agency is deciding to takeover HISD is huge news. See this from the Chron:

Houston ISD Trustee Elizabeth Santos on Thursday called for school board President Rhonda Skillern-Jones, to “immediately step down” from her position in light of last week’s heated board meeting, which resulted in two arrests and dozens of community members temporarily booted from the district administration building.

In a message shared on Facebook, Santos said Skillern-Jones’s “wholly unjustified” actions at last week’s board meeting have eroded public trust, prompting her call for Skillern-Jones to relinquish her post as board president. Santos did not demand Skillern-Jones resign her position as a trustee. She is the only member of the nine-person board who publicly has called for Skillern-Jones to give up her post, though other trustees have criticized Skillern-Jones’s handling of last week’s meeting.

“Right now, the shame of our actions and inactions at the April 24 board meeting looms over our board,” Santos wrote. “It clouds our decisions and intentions from proper public scrutiny and erodes the trust our community places in us.”

And this:

Many crowd members who were ordered to leave last week’s meeting have called on Skillern-Jones to step down as board president. Reached by phone Thursday, HISD trustees Wanda Adams, Jolanda Jones and Sue Deigaard did not echo those calls.

“Many may not support her actions and the way it was done, but this doesn’t warrant stepping down as board president,” Adams said. She added that she believes it was “not proper” for Santos to publicly call on Skillern-Jones to step down without talking to the entire board of trustees.

Here is the entire article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/HISD-trustee-calls-on-Skillern-Jones-to-12886406.php.

This kind of came as a surprise to Commentary. I have no idea what others in the H-Town political community are thinking. I have no idea where this is going.  It certainly is not business as usual.

How aggressive will Trustee Santos move on this? Do some folks get her to back off or stand down? We will see.

Commentary said this last week:

Don’t do it! Commentary is talking about any self-respecting city in America thinking about hosting the 2020 GOP National Convention.

Commentary is glad the City of San Antonio listened to me. Here is this from the SA Express News:

The city of San Antonio will not submit a bid to host the 2020 Republican National Convention, a decision announced after council members met Thursday in closed session to discuss the matter.

The cost of pursuing the event — an international spectacle that could draw 40,000 visitors, including 15,000 reporters — outweighs the potential economic impact that could be $200 million, Mayor Ron Nirenberg and most council members agreed.

The host city, through a local committee that would be composed of business leaders, would be expected to raise about $70 million, including about $6 million from public coffers.

“As a whole, the City Council did not feel it was worth it to move forward,” Nirenberg said shortly after concluding the closed-session meeting with his colleagues.

He said there was absolutely no discussion about politics, and the discussion centered on economic issues.

Council members Greg Brockhouse and Clayton Perry chided the decision, saying they believe the city is missing a golden opportunity to put San Antonio in the international spotlight and bring jobs and millions of dollars of spending to the city.

Though there was no actual vote in the council’s executive session, the mayor said the consensus in the room was not to proceed with a bid for the multi-day convention scheduled for August of 2020. The decision, he said, extends to the Democratic National Convention.

San Antonio has not bid on a national political convention in two decades, Nirenberg said.

The RNC issue has come to the forefront because party leaders specifically asked for a bid from San Antonio, and the GOP representative in charge of site selection visited San Antonio in March to personally ask for leaders here to consider submitting a bid.

At a late-March lunch, when Ron Kaufman, the chairman of the site-selection committee, dined with several local leaders, including the mayor, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff and former Mayor Phil Hardberger, it was apparently made clear there wasn’t much interest in pursuing the convention. Those who attended the lunch say they thought the matter was closed. The following day, Nirenberg received a call informing him that the RNC was no longer interested in San Antonio as a potential location.

Then, last week, Brad Parscale — President Donald Trump’s current campaign manager and former San Antonian — began making phone calls urging the city to bid on the convention and ultimately took to Twitter to trash Nirenberg for not immediately submitting one.

Nirenberg informed council members that there appeared to be renewed interest in San Antonio and convened Thursday’s executive session on the matter.

Meanwhile, local business leaders have circulated a couple letters, insisting that there’s a strong desire to bring the convention to San Antonio — and solicit the requisite funds for hosting the event.

One letter claims that the RNC has relieved the city of a requirement to put up public dollars toward the cost of the convention.

“Historically — and in most cases with political conventions — the city and county would each allocate $2 to $3 million towards the overall cost of the convention,” according to a letter from B.J. “Red” McCombs, John Montford, Dennis Nixon and Eddie Aldrete. “However, the RNC has informed San Antonio that as long as there is a genuine commitment of a hand-in-hand partnership to ensure a successful convention, the city’s financial commitment can be made up with funds that are raised privately.”

Here is the entire read: https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/politics/article/City-Council-decides-against-bidding-for-GOP-12886026.php.

Why would any major city want this gigantic headache these days? San Antonio is a city with a rich Latino culture. Why would they want a Latino hater like Trump and his followers spending a few days in your city? Nice job, SA!

Texas U.S. Senator John Cornyn is up for reelection in 2020. Did he send in a letter asking for his San Antonio to host the 2020 convention?

Albert Pujols has 282 career base hits off of the ‘Stros – the most off of any MLB club of course.

 

Commentary is not going to question the Skipper’s pitching moves yesterday. There are a ton of others doing that. I will save my energy for other things.

And on this day 48 years ago, a day I still remember, from Neil Young:

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We’re finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Never forget Kent State.

Have a safe Cinco de Mayo weekend.

Read Full Post »